10 March 2007

Bullish on zinc? Mining stocks aren't the only option.

I hadn't expected to get the opportunity to post during my absence, but I had some spare time in the morning here in Kuala Lumpur and decided to go online in my hotel room. Upon checking the performance of the basic materials sector, I came across a remarkable company this morning. North American Galvanizing Company (AMEX:NGA) caught my eye as it is not a mining company (which I would typically be looking for). It is a company that use zinc for its galvanisation processes. As a result of growing zinc prices, the company has booked tremendous growth in the past years. Its sales more than doubled in two years and EPS are ten times what they were two years ago. And all this is down to higher prices for zinc. Even though this may not be your most logical stock pick, zinc bulls might want to think again. NGA trades at a P/E of 8.9 and is therefore much cheaper and a lower-risk option than most mining companies, whilst the effects of rising zinc prices on sales are quite similar. Technically, the stock also shows a positive outlook. The downward trend of the RSI in the weekly chart has been broken with support around 40, which means that the stock might be bottoming now in a longer-term bull trend. Considering the company's growth in the past four years, this is a very affordable stock. Keeping in mind the bright outlook for zinc prices, I will add NGA t my list of stock picks at a price of $5.18 with an $8.00 price target for end 2007.

No comments: