08 May 2007

Target price reached for Banco Pastor

As mentioned in one of my earlier postings, Spanish banking group Banco Pastor is a small yet ambitious one. In November 2006, I decided to add Banco Pastor to my list of stock picks at the price of EUR 14.15, with a target price of EUR 18. This target has now been reached less than six months later, though I continue to be impressed with the bank's results. In the first quarter of 2007, the group's earnings went up 31% whilst the amount of new clients went up 20%. The company's progress has to be admired and even though I still consider Banco Pastor a takeover target amidst the European banking consolidation, I must admit that the Spanish banking group is everything but cheap. After all, ABN Amro is currently for sale at 14x earnings, whereas Banco Pastor is valued at 30x earnings. Hence, I think it is wise to close this position at exactly the price targeted, leaving us with a gross ROI of some 27%.
The author had no position in Banco Pastor at the time of writing.

No comments: