27 February 2007

Markets plunge; metals join in on the fun

It is now 11pm Amsterdam time and what we have whitnessed today is not something we see every day. I bought two puts on the Dutch AEX index on Friday and sold them today, after which I bought one single put 490 (March series) later on the day at a lower price: Eur 1.85. Certainy not a big investment, but then I do not hold an impressive track record with options. I therefore tend to be very careful when trading with options. Closing price of my put was Eur 3.40 with an AEX some ten points below yesterday's close. After European equity markets closed, we whitnessed the American indices being slaughtered, taking commodities along. I got worried about my mining stocks as the mining sector is among the hardest hit of all sectors today. Thankfully, someone posted some comments by Jim Sinclair, who had already said the following - one day before this slaughterfest: "At first the equity market breaks would bring in temporary sellers of gold. However, quite quickly thereafter and most certainly when the US Dollar also gets hit, gold will steady and start its move to all the Angels." Thanks for those words of hope and wisdom, Mr Jim Sinclair. As for tomorrow, I will watch the indices closely and I will specifically watch the RSI level of the AEX, which will be critical. If the RSI in the daychart breaks through 40, we are seeing a bull market turn into a bear market. Good luck to all and don't panic.

No comments: